9.02.2011

a chore

Sometimes updating the blog can seem like a chore - it shouldn't, but it does. It's like it's another thing to get done. That's why I've been so negligent lately. It's like exercise. Once the day is done, or just beginning, blogging and exercising are the last things I want to do. :) Ugh.

I typically work Monday's and Thursday's, but one of the girls at work couldn't work this past Wednesday, so we switched days. And with Labor Day coming up on Monday, it means I have a week off.

So, I decided to try potty training Breeson. He's 2 years and 3 months, so I knew it was a gamble if he would be ready or not. I've been hearing a lot of input lately (like it or not) on whether he's ready or not. A lot of mommies have told me their boys didn't do it until they were at least 3. This exercise was NOT to prove a point or be obnoxious in thinking "my kid can do it sooner than your kid". We've just been tired of changing diapers and putting the cost in them. $$ is tight these days and if he can start using the potty - why not!? So with having the week off, I decided to at least try it and if after a few days he didn't make any progress, then I was willing to digress.

I started yesterday and I gave him tons of juice, milk and water. I could tell he was holding it in b/c I know we typically change diapers before 10 a.m. After following him around for what seemed like forever (only a couple hrs that morning), I turned my head for 10 seconds and found him jumping in his own puddle of pee. About a week or 2 ago I watched a segment from the Today show. On it she has the kids clean up their own mess!!! So that's what Breeson did (I did follow him with the clorox wipes). I know it seems harsh, but it seemed to work for her. So anyways, he had 1 more accident and then we had tons of success the rest of the day. All except 1 poop in the undies close to bedtime.

I found he actually did better with me not in there. I think the pressure of me watching him was too much - I don't blame him!!
I figured I would try a sticker chart and see if he liked it - and he did. He does get some candy in addition.
Today is our 2nd day and we've had no accidents (knock on wood) thus far; it's 3 p.m. right now.


As for Eagan...well he's been pretty good. I was worried about this whole process b/c I wasn't sure how I was going to take care of Eagan and follow a 2 year old around all day.

1 comment:

Ashley Davis said...

Your chart/stickers are putting me to shame! :) I may have to copy. Thanks for the help today on the phone! Sorry it was cut short. One day we'll have a long, real conversation--and not about poop!