8.19.2009

is this normal?!

Ever since Breeson was born, he's been a pretty good sleeper. "Good" meaning he would sleep the minimum of 3 hours. I don't know how those mothers do it when their baby only does 1-2 hours between feedings!?!? I'm very thankful Breeson has been consistent in that area. For the last couple of months, he's actually been pretty regular in going in 4 hour spurts during the night. And in the last couple of weeks, he's been stretching his sleep time 5-6 hours. But out of no where, the last couple of nights, he's reverted back to sleeping 3 hours between feedings. Going to sleep at around 9 p.m., wakes up at 12 midnight, then again at 3ish. :(
I like to think of it as he wants more "mommy time". But I doubt that's really the case.
What I want to know is, is this normal?
Do babies jump back and forth?
Should I not feed him when he wakes up so that he won't get used to it?
Could this be the case of him going thru a growth spurt?

5 comments:

Michele said...

well, I am sure you will get a ton of comments but here is what I know from my experience...it is TOTALLY normal. He is more than likely going through a growth spurt and thus needing extra feedings. Lo did the same thing several times until recently when she hit the 6 month mark. I am a HUGE HUGE go to your baby when the cry in the night person until they are about 5/6 months then it is time to let them "cry it out" to an extent. You know the cry that sounds like their entire world came to an end...address it, but it ok to let them cry for a bit to see if they can learn to self-soothe themselves back to sleep. From what I have read this doesn't occur until about 4ish months and then like everything they need to "practice" it and may need some reassurance from you.
Go w/ your gut on the cries but like I said I think it is TOTALLY normal, this time in life is short-lived, remember one day he will eventually sleep through the night!!
Hope that helps!

The Boccias said...

Sounds like a growth spurt. Don't worry. I know I got nervous every time Sophie would start doing something I didn't like (i.e. waking up at night when she had been sleeping through) and I'd worry it was her new normal, but eventually she would get back to sleeping through. Growth spurts, sickness, teething, learning to do new things (like pulling up to stand)...all things that can affect sleep at various times in their little lives. :) Just remember it's temporary. Wish you could be at Jen's shower this weekend! We'll miss you!

Ashley Davis said...

They said exactly what I was going to say.
It probably won't last long.

the smiths said...

Noah definitely did this, and unfortunately it has become a pattern for him. :/ Normal, even if not fun!

Ashley Davis said...

Jack got up three times last night!! He must have read this post and thought it sounded like fun!!