3.14.2011

What's in a name??

In choosing the name "Breeson", we, as most parents do, searched high and low for the perfect name. We sat countless hours in Barnes & Nobles reading through the baby name books. Making lists only to agree and/or disagree on several of them. Since we didn't know the sex of our baby, we each chose 3 boys names and 3 girls names. In the end, whichever sex he/she was, Jamie would have the final say-so if it was a boy, and I a girl. Well...low and behold Breeson was meant to be!!
We chose the name because...
a.) it was unique and we only found it in one book (not sure which one that was now?)
b.) we liked the meaning of the name: "strong" (however, if you look it up online it gives other meanings?? We remember the book saying it was an American-English name meaning "strong") - so we agreed on it.

Isn't it amazing how people typically live up to their names? Our Breeson is a strong-willed little boy. We could see it ever since he was only a few weeks old. Today, I ordered this...

Now I'm not saying this will solve all our problems, but why not get some help from a good resource such as Dr. Dobson?
Lately we've been trying to remember to pray more for Breeson, as that is what will get us and him through the hard times. Just last night Jamie and I were talking and it feels like in the last week-2 weeks, he's really been pushing the limits and testing himself, as well as us. I really don't like to call them the "terrible 2's", but I see why they're called that. God help us!!

In public, I don't want to be that parent who is abusing their child, nor do I want to be that parent who is ignoring their tantrum-throwing kid sitting in the grocery cart. Where is that happy medium? Just this past weekend, Breeson was "helping" me make bread. I informed him the burner was HOT, which he already knows, but I did tell him again. But this time, he just had to put his hand on it. This may be just one example, yet, this is one of many situations we've been dealing with lately. Plus, it shows more about his personality and what he wants to do.

No comments: