5.30.2009

Breeson's Story: (sorry so late...)

Saturday, May 23
  • Contractions all morning, nothing regular though. Sometimes they would be 8 minutes apart, and then the next would come 15 minutes later.
  • Contractions stopped around lunch time. I was able to get some stuff done around the house, along with painting my toe nails!
  • Contractions started up again late afternoon. As the evening progressed, they became stronger and a bit more regular.
  • Closer to going to bed, they kept in the 7-10 minute range.
  • Sleep was not even an option that night. Contractions were too strong. Jamie stayed up w/ me counting them and keeping track on time. He finally went to sleep around 12:30 a.m.
  • At 1:30 a.m. I woke Jamie up crying and said "it's time"; we called the doc and she said to come on in.
Sunday, May 24
  • Arrive at hospital around 2ish; barely able to walk in - contractions are too strong.
  • On the way to hospital, I ask Jamie if we can do an Epidural. We agree that we will (we had already agreed prior to this that if I felt like I needed it, then we would do it. I just wanted to get the "ok" with him and to make sure he supported it - he did!!!).
  • It takes a while to get checked in and for the Anesthesiologist to get to my room. But when he did, it only took 10 minutes for it to take effect. HEAVEN on earth!!! :) Prior to this, I had been grabbing Jamie's hand (which he later said it really hurt b/c I would grab his L hand w/ his ring in the middle and squeeze), along with the side rail. The pain was too much.
  • I was only dilated at 3 cm when we arrived. After I got the Epidural, I jumped to 6 cm within an hour. I then progressed to 7 cm a little later on - where I stayed for at least a couple hours. 7 cm was the last time they checked to see where I was before realizing I was already at 10 cm.
  • The nurse then looked at me and said, "it's time, we're going to start pushing soon".
    **I was a bit shocked b/c this was nothing I had been expecting in the way "labor & delivery" would play out. I always thought there would be multiple nurses in the room, and a bit of more of a "rushed" feeling. Everything, from the beginning to the end, was very calm and relaxing. There was only 1 nurse, Jamie and I, in the room - until the doc arrived right before delivery.
  • After the nurse told us we could start soon, I just waited for her. After a few minutes of nothing happening, I turned to her and asked, "when are we going to start?", she looked back at me and said, "oh, I was waiting for you to tell me when you're ready to start". I then felt a contraction coming and looked at her and Jamie and said, "it's go time". :-)
  • Praise God, I only had to push for 30 minutes. It could have actually been shorter, but I kept taking longer breaks between some of the contractions.
    **FYI: Breeson had been hanging low for several weeks. Every time we went to the doctor, he/she would always comment on how incredibly low this baby is. When we checked into the hospital, the nurse and doc both said I won't be pushing for long b/c he is so low.
  • So we arrived at the hospital at 2:30 and Breeson was born at 8:26 a.m., weighing in at 8 lbs and 20 1/2 inches long with a full head of dark brown hair.
  • He of course lost a little bit in the hospital, but after only 5 days (1st doctors appointment was yesterday, Friday), he is back up to 8 lbs 5 oz. The little guy can eat!! :)
Tuesday, May 26
  • Discharged from the hospital

From then to today
  • Healing process has gone incredibly well. I did tear (type II), but the road to recovery is going quickly and essentially pain free. Both Breeson and I are doing very well.
  • Sleep schedule - still wacky!! Tired as all get out. :)
  • Last night was our 1st rough night. He is really a good baby. He usually only cries when he's hungry or naked. But for some reason, sleeping was not an option for him.
  • Jamie is a SUPER dad and is so patient and encouraging. Breeson is blessed to have such a great father. I couldn't do it without him.
  • SUPER emotional ever since Sunday. I can't remember the last time I've cried so much and in so many days. (Jamie's also been very supportive in this area too). I told Jamie last night that I was more emotionally balanced during my pregnancy than I have in my life. All that to say though, that doesn't mean I want to be pregnant anytime soon!
So...there you go. I know I've been meaning to call a lot of you personally - and I still plan too. But hopefully this will help in the mean time!
We love you all and are so thankful for your love and support. I can't wait for you to meet our son, Breeson Omri George.

2 comments:

The Boccias said...

Awww, what a great story! Thanks for posting it. That sounds like a great first-time L&D--uncomplicated and pretty short! And yes...you can expect your hormones to be a little crazy. Glad Jamie is being so good to you both! (Knew he would be.) By the way, I was telling Nathan about your little boy and he really liked the name, especially Omri. Just thought I'd let you know because it's kind of a rare thing for Nathan to like a name. Trust me, I'm being reminded of it all over again as we debate names for our new baby...Congrats again and hope you get some good rest this weekend!

Ginger said...

Joy, what a wonderful story! I'm glad your L&D was smooth and uncomplicated! I'm a little jealous that you only pushed for 30 minutes, but I'm very glad for you - and praise God the healing is going well! It's taking me quite a while... but it's totally worth it. :) The tears are normal - definitely! It's such an overwhelming experience. I will be praying for you, Jamie, and baby Breeson - you're doing great!! :)